lunes, 9 de noviembre de 2015

Class Notes, Monday, 9 November, 2015

1. Reading

Let's go to page 14. What do you think is happening in the photo?

Read the text and answer the questions in exercise 1b.

1. Why did Tom Pilston go to Chicago?
    He wanted to photograph Barack Obama and his family in the Convention Center.
2. Why couldn't he take a photograph of Obama?
    He forgot his press pass and couldn't go inside.
3. What was the weather like?
    It was quite warm for November.
4. Where did he take this photo?
    He took it outside the center, in a park.
5. Where could the people see the election results?
    They could watch the results on TV screens in the parks.
6. Was he sorry that he couldn't go inside the center?
    No, because he felt that it was better to be outside with all of the people.
7. What happened when Obama won?
    Everyone went mad.

New Words

press pass -> pase de prensa
holding hands > cogidos de la mano
realise -> darse cuenta
go mad -> volverse locos

2. Find the mistakes

We did a spot the errors activity using our mistakes from the first writing assignment.

(I will add this when I can)

3. Grammar: Past Continuous

Let's go to page 14. Look at exercise 2a. 

Do the highlighted verbs describe actions that happened . . .

b  at the same time ashe took the photo

Let's go to page 128. Look at the information about the Past Continuous. 

*Remember: We use the past continuous for long past actions. Its equivalent in Spanish is the pretérito imperfecto or a perífrasis verbal:

It was raining when I left work.
Llovía cuando salí de trabajar. (pretérito imperfecto)
Estaba lloviendo cuando salí de trabajar. (perífrasis verbal)

*Remember: We often use the past continuous to desribe a past situation, especially at the beginning of a story.

Let's do the exercises on page 129.

2Ba Complete the sentences with a verb in the past contninuous.

1. I took this photo when my wife was working in the garden.
2. He met his wife when he was living in Japan.
3. They weren't waiting for us when we arrived.
4. Was she wearing a coat when she went out?
5. The sun was shining when I left for work.
6. What were you doing at 7.30 last night?
7. I wasn't listening when you gave the instructions.
8. We weren't watching TV when you phoned.

2Bb Put the verbs into the past simple or past continuous.

1. I broke my arm when I was playing football.
2. Were you driving fast when the police stopped you.
3. It was snowing when we left the pub.
4. I didn't see the match because I was working.
5. When you called me, I was talking to my boss.
6. We were studying in Cambridge when we met.
7. Were they living in Rome when they had their first baby?.



3. Vocabulary: at, in, on

Let's go to page 153 of your book.  Complete the chart.

1. in    2. on   3. at.

Listen to track 1.42 to check your answers.

Let's go to page 14 of your book. Let's do exercises 3a-b.

a. Which preposition do you use before . . . ?

1. a date -> on
2. a time -> at
3. the morning, the afternoon, etc. -> in
4. a room or building -> in

b. What preposition do you use with . . . ?

1. a month -> in
2. the weekend -> at
3. home, work, school -> at

Let's do the communication activity on pages 100 and 106.
Use prepositions to answer the questions.

p100.
1 When were you born?  (in September)
2 Where do you usually have breakfast? (in my kitchen)
3 What time do you usually have lunch? (at two o'clock)
4. What days of the week do you usually go out in the evening? (on Friday, sometimes)
5. What time of the day do you usually do your English homework? (in the morning)
6. When do you usually have a holiday? (in the summer)
7. Where do you normally listen to music? (in the car or in the kitchen)
8. When's your birthday? (on the 20th of September)

p106
1. Where were you born? (in Oregon)
2. What time do you usually get up during the week? (at 7 o'clock)
3. Where do you usually have lunch? (at home or in Santoña)
4. What time of day you usually meet friends? (in the evening)
5. When do you usually go shopping? (at the weekend)
6. Where do you usually do your English homework? (in my library at home)
7. When do you do housework? (every single day of the year)
8. Where can you have a nice walk near where you live? (in Cabarceno)

4. Pronunciation

Let's go to page 15. Look at 4a. Listen to track 1.43 and repeat the sentences.
Practice the rhythm.

Next, practice asking and answering questions about yesterday.

What were you doing at 6.30 am?  I was sleeping.
What were you doing at 11.00 am? I was studying.
What were you doing at lunch-time? I was having lunch with my mother and father-in-law.
What were you doing at 4.00 pm? I was watching a film on tv.
What were you doing at 6.00 pm? I was working on the blog.
What were you doing at 10.00 pm? I was brushing my teeth.

What were you doing at midnight? I was sleeping.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario